Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Vanity (January 2014) by Renee



There it is again,
That finger pointing inward,
calling forth a retchedness
hiding within. I want it out! 
People can see it
swelling up in my gut
and rolling from my chin.
I'll point that finger of blame
at myself, until it scores the gullet.
I know this is wrong.
I am so ashamed.
But shame is just one more motive.
The crying isn't self-pity. 
It's scary, but the tears
are not from fear.
 There's an acidity suiting
to this corrosive experience.
It stains my nose. Great. 
Now I stink too.
Once that feeling of drowning
passes, I feel better. For now. No,
forever this time. No more of this!
But I am too indulgent. Too impulsive.
So blindly ambitious.
I'm just like my family. I feel
that choleric inheritance land,
like a knighting sword, squarely 
on my shoulders as I kneel
 in front of a white throne
where I must purge myself
of myself and my true hungers
for that insatiable appetite for perfection.  



No comments:

Post a Comment